Most of us believe that being creative is some kind of magical power or talent that you can’t control and not every person is one. Maybe it’s somewhat true but on a scientific level, creativity is all about brain chemitry — those little neurotransmitters in the brain that can make you feel happy or surprise you simultaneously. But fret not, in some ways, you can actually control the levels of these creative juices in multiple and healthy ways.
Also, understanding how you brain works and practicing to control it can help you better release your limited creativity reserves and improve them over time. So why not tweak your brain and take control of your creativity instead of letting it just pop out randomly?
Here are some tips and tricks that will help you enhance your creativity:
Dopamine and Serotonin are the key
These are the two main chemicals found in your brain that highly affects your creativity. Keeping the levels of these neurotransmitters to optimum will make you feel calm but highly energized, which is the perfect condition for creative thinking. That’s according to the Standford professor, Baba Shiv.
To increase dopamine and serotonin levels:
- Eat bananas and high-protein foods – While digesting high-protein snacks like dairy and poultry, your body converts those protein into serotonin and dopamine. Scientifically proven, fruits like bananas and avocados will also help increase your creative juices in your body. Also, you might want to cut down the intake of cholesterol, fat and sugar as they can cause a drop in dopamine levels.
- Listen to your favorite music – listening to your favorite tune albeit in weird genres, confirms that it releases dopamine in your brain much like the intake of drugs (less intense). So be sure to create a playlist in your Spotify that will make your brain sign and don’t forget to listen to out while you’re working or in tasks that requires you to think.
- Drink coffee if you’re happy – Creative juices impacts nicely when paired with coffee. The reason why is it prevents dopamine from getting reabsorbed in our system, doubling its effects. Research states that caffeine acts as a “psychological arouser” that it can exaggerate whatever emotion you are feeling, so be sure to take it in only if you’re in a good mood.
Manage your creative juices efficiently
Always remember that creativity is limited and you can’t use it 24/7. Besides taking breaks at different time of the day, the only way to completely refuel your creativity is to sleep. Therefore, it is important to manage your brain and understand how your body works and plan on when to use your brain accordingly. Here’s how:
- Manage, creative tasks first – Almost all of us start our day with visiting our favorite social media sites, answer some emails and other activities that are easy to accomplish. While creative work are usually done at the end of the day. And that’s bad. We are actually wasting our creative juices, most of which disappears in the first half of our day.
- Distract yourself – Creative work really demands a lot of concentrating and effort. So, it’s very important to regularly step out from work so you can rest and come back to your task regenerated.
- Solve some puzzles – Puzzle games exercises your brain. Your brain should always practice to solve things. Train it to find small details at first glance and come up with conclusions. Of course, don’t play other games like RPG and FPS.
There are no limits to your creativity. But you really to work out hard, just like your determination on maintaining your body and going out to the gym.