If you have been living under a rock and not checking your favorite social media websites, you might have missed the awesome news that Pokemon Go is officially here in The Philippines. If you’re that 90’s kid or an avid player of the Pokemon franchise in the handheld consoles, this is the moment you’ve been waiting for. So here’s a guide on how to start your life as a Pokemon trainer.
To get you started, of course you’ll need to download the free app that’s available for both iOS or Android. Upon starting the app, you’ll need to create your account and customize your own avatar. After that, you’ll be instantly be thrown in the game with some confusing and rather vague tips from “Professor Willow”.
Choosing your starter Pokemon
After a few instructions from the Professor, you’ll be greeted with the three original starter Pokemons: Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle. You can choose between the three if you like, but the developers of Pokemon Go allowed a trick that let’s you start with Ash’s starter, Pikachu. To do so, simply ignore the original starters and walk away, they’ll reappear again but you need to ignore them for at least three times. That’s when Pikachu will appear.
Things you’ll need to know
What I like in Pokemon Go is that teaches you through trial and error just like a typical Pokemon game. The game wants you to figure out how to play it by yourself. It provides the ability to experiment that will get you curious. Therefore, here are some things you need to know:
- The game currently has the original 151 Pokemon from the first generation with legendaries and some other rare ones missing.
- The battle system has been simplified to mere tapping to attack and swiping to evade. The Pokemon’s strength is determined by how high the number of CP (Combat Power) it has.
- The kind of Pokemon that will appear near you will be determined by what kind of your location you are currently in.
- Once your reach level 5, you’ll be given the freedom to choose a team to represent for gym battles. They are dubbed Mystic, Valor, and Instinct.
- You’ll earn XP through catching Pokemons, evolving them and gathering items in Pokestops. And free items will be given to you each time you level up.
- To evolve a Pokemon, you’ll need a certain number of their own “candies” to trigger it. And through evolving, the Pokemon gains a huge amount of CP.
- The best way to increase your chances to find Pokemon is through walking outside and covering more ground, not just walking around in circles.
- See that Pokestop with pink confetti? Go there. Some other trainer might have used a pokemon module that lures more Pokemon in the area.
- You’ll also find egg in some pokestops and you can hatch that egg after walking at a certain distance using the Incubators.
That’s it for now. We’ll create more tips once you get to a higher level so stay tuned and goodluck catching them all!