In the insta-world we live in, genuine happiness is probably the most coveted yet most elusive thing we all seek for. We try finding them through instant gratification, faking it till we make it, so they say. We curate them through squares, await for likes to validate how great we’re doing in life and live for #goals.
The thing is, we overthink what happiness really is. I say, happiness starts in the habit of letting happiness in! To get you into “a happy place”, sometimes, all you ever need are literally the basic things in life:
- Realize that happiness is a state of mind. And so is sadness. Growing up, I once read somewhere about the quote “this too shall pass” and how it goes both ways. It’s about embracing the now, this very moment that you can never get back. Be it a happy moment or a sad one, it will pass. Trust that, things will never stay the way they are so take it all in while it lasts.
- Compliment and mean it. Genuinely praise others for the things they do, wear, give, work for and so on. It’s like a pat in the back or a hug at the end of a long day. And remember you also owe yourself at least one.
- Take time outs. Take risks. Life is no race. Reflect on what you want and where you are. It’s also important to take a social media detox every now and then. Comparison is the thief of joy as the saying goes. You gotta admit that there’s that little envy creeping in your guts when you see J.Lo’s abs.
- Workout to feel better. And speaking of abs, do your fitness routine for your health and not just to impress. I won’t go in all the details but there’s a science behind it as to why you feel the happy rush after a workout!
- Drink more, sleep deeper. Taking good care of your body in itself would bring you joy. Less crankiness and less wrinkles!
- Be kind to yourself. You would make mistakes—lots of them. You will take a lot of detours and that’s fine.
- Be honest. Happiness is the comforting peace of mind at the end of the day. Insecurities would lead to dishonesty that could go as far as being conniving and manipulative. You will never know when you’ll get tied in your own rope like #TaylorSwiftIsOver.
- Surround yourself with happy people. Happiness won’t thrive in places where it isn’t tolerated. Bring out the rainbow in your friend’s rant party.
- Live a little. You’re allowed to take as many cheat days as you want to. Let it be as it is and leave it as it is. We tend to nitpick happiness when it’s right within our grasp because we’re so used to not having it. You have to trust happiness.
- Choose it every single time. Happiness stays where it is most welcome.
At the end of the day, you do you.